Various Longbridge Clubs in 1971
ADO 15 ANGLING CLUB
Secretary:W.R. Bowater Treasurer: P. Burman
The ADO15 Angling Club has been running now for two years and has approximately zo members coming from all parts of the East works, all being members of the East works sports and social club. There are four contests held by the club each year meeting at various venues in and around Worcestershire, mostly on the Severn. New members are always welcome.
AUSTIN AMATEUR BOXING CLUB
Secretary: A.C.T. Clarke Treasurer: T. Mason
The club has operated for 50 years and outstanding boxers produced include Benny Fisher, Joe Froggatt, Eddie Ricketts, Tony Donachie, Johnny Moran and Bunny Johnson. Training is supervised by former A.B.A. champion Alf Harper and Bryan Arnott in North works gymnasium on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Boxing membership is free and not confined to employees. Monthly tournaments include Midland championships..
AUSTIN APPRENTICES ASSOCIATION
Secretary: M. J. Palmer
Founded 50 years ago, the aims of the association are to cater for the social, sporting and cultural needs of its members. Financed by deductions from the pay of all serving apprentices and administered by an elected committee, activities include a thriving car club, cine club, the production of Torque magazine and a licensed clubhouse where subsidised lunches are served
AUSTIN CAB. NO. I FINISHING SHOP
SICK AND DIVIDEND CLUB
Secretary: J. E. Moore Treasurer : S.Woodhouse
The club was formed and registered in January, 1966, after many requests from several people who worked in the department. For some time it had been seen that the practice of voluntary collections for persons away for long periods through sickness was not operating fairly. The club has progressed well since the time it started. The first year membership was 97; it is now 160. All officers and most of the committee are the original members who were first elected.
AUSTIN CAB. NO. 1 SOCIAL CLUB
Chairman: R. Tlpton Secretary: A. Wlkes
This club has 500 members and everyone receives a present at Christmas. It has a very hard working committee, good darts league, a good dominoes league, an excellent golfing section, and the best angling section in the works. 'And best of all we have a very healthy bank balance.'
AUSTIN BADMINTON CLUB
Secretary: P. Cheston Treasurer: H. Lees
The club was started in 1951 and uses the Lowhill Lane staff canteen where there are two courts. Playing season is from September to April. Club nights are on Monday and Wednesday starting at 7 pm. Average membership is 40. A men's team competes in the Birmingham league. Next season the club is hoping to be moved from Lowhill Lane into the new West canteen where playing facilities will be greatly improved.
AUSTIN DESIGNS TABLE TENNIS SECTION
Secretary: E. N. Edwards Treasurer: D. Challinor
The club was formed some 12 years ago when a team survived its first season in the West Birmingham League. Since that dubious start the club has staged the Midland, West Birmingham and Bromsgrove championships. Austin Designs, selected as the top club in Worcestershire, represented that county in the national club championships and reached the last six clubs. The present playing strength is about 30, with four teams.
AUSTIN EX-APPRENTICES ASSOCIATION
Chairrnan: J. Canning Secretary: R. C. Johnson
The association, inaugurated in 1936, aims to maintain the links between apprentices who have completed an indentured apprenticeship at Longbridge, organising various social functions such as a dinner, dinner-dance, film shows and works visits for members and families. A party to attend the 1974 World Cup matches is being
Enquiries can be made to R. C. Johnson, (works phone No. 5864).
AUSTIN CAB. NO.2 SPORTS AND SOCIAL CLUB
Secretary: G. Garner Treasurer: W. Simkins
This club was registered on 26 June, 1970, after being formed in April. They have successfully organized three dances at the Tower Ballroom and donated cups and trophies to various shop activities i.e. darts, golf, chess, table tennis and football. During 1971-72 they plan children's parties and outings, trips to the Earls Court Motor Show and a weekend in Majorca.
AUSTIN MOTOR GEAR AND PULLEY SECTION SICK CLUB
Chairman: L. Redman Secretary: and treasurer: G. Brookes
The club was founded over nine years ago. Membership is about 60 and contributions are 10p per week. Membership is for the section only, or for members who move from the section on to another in the shop. If a member moves out of the shop then he can no longer be a member.
A retiring person gets £5. Death benefit is £20 and there are grants for absence.
AUSTIN MOTOR WORKS SICK AND DIVIDEND SOCIETY
Secretary:J. W. Freeman
The Austin Works Sick and Dividend Society was started 59 years ago at the request of the late Lord Austin, who was then the president. It has had 4,000 members, but owing to the difficulty in getting collectors the figure is now 1,130. The balance sheet at the end of last year showed an income of £1,217-21 after all benefits and expenses had been paid, the surplus being paid back to members as a dividend. Contributions at the start of the society were 2.1/2d per week: now it is 10p. Benefits at the beginning were 13 weeks at 50p and 13 weeks at 25p. Funeral benefit was £7 per member, £3.50 for a member's wife and £1 per member's child. Benefits are now 13 weeks at £2 and 13 weeks at £1. Funeral benefits are now £28 per member, £4 per member's wife, and £4 per member's child, showing that benefits have gone up the same percentage as the contributions over the 59 years. All members of the society have been issued with a card to obtain goods at discount prices from certain warehouses.
AUSTIN PRODUCTIVITY SERVICES SPORTS CLUB
Secretary: G. Willetts Treasurer: G. Healey
The Austin Productivity Services Sports Club. was formed in May, 1969. The general aim of the club was to provide productivity services personnel with the opportunity to pursue various social and sporting interests on an organized basis. Since the club's inception many social and sporting activities have been successfully undertaken and the programme for the coming year promises to be equally full.
AUSTIN ELECTRICAL SICK AND DIVIDEND SOCIETY
Chalrman: M. Ryder Treasurer: G. Wallace
AUSTIN RETIREI) EMPLOYEES ASSOCIATION
Secretary: R. E. Blrd Treasurer: F. Webster
This association was formed on Monday, 24 April, 1967 in North Works canteen. 'Our object is to have "a home of our own", to provide recreational facilities, entertainment, outings, visits to theatres and holidays.' Membership is open to Austin employees who retire from the company. Subscriptions are 10p a calendar month. That includes tea and biscuits. Officers and committee are elected at the annual general meeting held in May. The trustees are elected for life. The association meets at the Greenlands Social Club each Monday afternoon 1.15 pm. to 3.45 pm.). Attendance is around 100 members. Some 168 members attended the annual dinner held January 1971.
A4O SICK AND DIVIDEND CLUB & AUSTIN STAMP CLUB
Secretary: B. L. Parkinson Treasurer: C. Brunt
A few enthusiastic philatelists formed the stamp club in November, 1969. Meetings have been held on the second Friday of every month at the Black Horse Hotel, Northfield, at 7.30 pm. Members' facilities include a G.B. first day cover service. Entrance fee: 50p. Annual subscription: 50p.
AUSTIN STAFF FOREMEN'S BENEVOLENT FUND
Secretary: D. Braln Treasurer: R. Chalk
This club was formed in 1919 with a membership of 15 to provide financial help in times of hardship and to provide social activities amongst the members. They are not a negotiating body. This club has now grown to a membership of 524 and is still expanding. All members must have served at least six months on the works staff to qualify for membership.
AUSTIN TRANSPORT ANGLING CLUB
Chalrman: L. Hale Secretary andTreasurer : N. Dubberley
This club was formed in 1962 by 16 members of transport department. Subscriptions were 1/- (5p) per week, increased in 1965 to £3. 18s. 0d. (£3.90) per year and rounded off to £4 in 1971. Members now have a personal badge designed exclusively for the club. All members and intended membmers must be employees of the Austin Morris, Longbridge, plant.
Membership is limited to 30 with two honorary retired members. The club has £100 in the bank.
AUSTIN WORKS ENGINEERS SOCIAL SECTION
Secretary: A. Partridge Treasurer: E. Gray
The section was formed purely to organize two annual dances and a Christmas party for the works engineering and maintenance sections. Any profits made from dances is used to subsidise the party when they invite all ex-members of the department. The section could organise any other function if so requested.
BRITISH LEYLAND (AUSTIN) INSPECTION DEPARTMENT
BENEVOLENT AND DIVIDEND SOCIETY
Secretary: P. Lowe Treasurer: E. Morris
Formerly the Austin Motor Co. Ltd. inspection department benevolent and dividend society, this society was formed in 1934 with Mr. Hemus as president. Subscriptions were 3d. per week and sick pay 10s. 0d. per week. The first balance sheet shows income £93 and benefits £23 and the society ran along these lines till 1954. Benefits and subscriptions have been increased to today's rate of 15p per week subscriptions and £2.50 per week sick pay. Sickness benefits in the last four years total £6,000. 'Our members also have discount facilities on all household goods, clothing, tyres, batteries and car accessories.' Mr. C. Conner has been a committee member and collector since 1942. Mr. P.Lowe became secretary in 1954.
CAB. GOLF SECTION
Secretary: F. L. Hopkinson
Membership of the society is drawn from CAB Nos. 1 and 2 and there are a few vacancies. The home course is the Lickey Hills municipal golf course, although private courses are visited occasionally. There are two meetings held per month which are run in three sections. This is to cater for the varying playing standards of the members.
BRITISH LEYLAND (LONGBRiDGE) SPORTS AND SOCIAL CLUB
Chalrman: D. Freer Secretary: J. Nlxon
CAB. FLOWER AND HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY SHOW
Chairman: L. Blshop Treasurer: E. Jones
The CAB Flower Show started 11 years ago on a night shift in CAB No. 1. Enthusiasts got together and the first show was quite a success. It was decided to move it to the day shift and, with Management approval and backing, it has grown into a successful concern, being transformed. into a horticultural society in January 1970. To date nearly £4,000 has been raised and most of this has been donated to charities.
CAB. SOCIAL ANGLING CLUB
Secretary: R. Bullock
The club is affiliated to the Birmingham Anglers Association and most of the competitions are held on their waters. There are five meetings a year which are mostly held in the summer months. The committee also organized the Albert Green cup which is an annual competition between all fishing clubs in either CAB. Membership is drawn from CAB Nos. 1 and 2.
DIE SHOP MUTUAL AID FUND
Secretary: L. A. Bradley Treasurer: A. Trow
This fund was formed in 1955 and pays £2 per week sickness benefit for a maximum continuous period of two years. This is to be raised to £3. Christmas grants were £10 last year and one member has been away 11 years. The fund's bank balance is £600.
EXPORT CORPORATION SOCIAL CLUB
Chairman: D. Freer
NO. 2 GEAR BLANK SECTION SICK CLUB
Secretary and Treasurer: C. S. Johnston
The club was registered with the company in 1948 !y the late W. H. Sheppard. Members receive benefit of 13 weeks at £1.50 and 13 weeks at 75p for a nominal subscription at 10p per week. At the end of the year members receive a dividend. Over 6o members visited the pantomime at the Birmingham Theatre in 1969 and 1970.
LONGBRIDGE CAMPING AND CARAVANNING CLUB
Secretary: M. Richards Treasurer: L. Crockett
This is one of the most recent of British Leyland clubs, but already it has a membership of 220 families. Ideal for any age group who enjoy an outdoor life. Members have a choice of either joining in organised outings and social gatherings, or of pursuing their own interests while taking advantage of club sites and rates. This club is now part of the British Leyland Association of Camping and Caravanning Clubs.
MAXI ANGLING CLUB
Joint Secretary: J. Baker Treasurer: R. Lees
The club has a membership of 3o people all of whom work in Unit 4. The aim of the club is to promote and further the interest in fishing. The committee arranges for eight contests per year at different venues. Three of these contests are for trophies. The club has recently affiliated to the Cofton Hackett Football and Social Club.
MILLWRIGHTS SICK AND DIVIDEND CLUB
Secretary: P. Jones Treasurer: G. Husband
NORTH WORKS ENGINE FACTORY INSPECTION SICK CLUB
Secretary and Treasure: T. Adderley
ELECTRONICS SPORTS AND SOCIAL CLUB
Secretary: C. Partridge Treasurer: G. Richards
The club was formed from the original idea of running a departmental cricket team. Matches are played in the evening at Cofton Park (anyone interested should contact the secretary on 5170). They also organise dinner-dances, beer and skittles evenings and theatre trips and try to arrange as much social activity as possible for all members of the department as the club's aim is to create a better and happier working atmosphere.
The Electronics Department cricket club would welcome fixtures from any department within the works. Arrangements can be made for the use of the pitch at Cofton Park and also equipment for players. Any department with 11 people who would like to play cricket should contact C. Partridge or D. Tanner (Tel. 5170). The club is always eager to arrange fixtures with other departments, as they believe that, through this type of competitive encounter, a feeling of goodwill prevails.
OLD TYME DANCE CLUB
Secretary: J. Nixon
The first dance of this club was held in the CAB dining hall on Saturday 17 December, 1960, and two dances have been held every year since. In January of this year a dance class was started in the Greenlands Social Club on Thursday evenings. M.C.'s: Den and Joy Ralph. Committee members: Mr. A. Humphries, Mr. J. Nixon Mr. R. Freeman, Eastworks; Mr. K. Gwinell, Trentham; and Mr. T. Smith, body experimental.
SEWING ROOM SOCIAL CLUB
Secretary: Mrs. D Evans Treasurer: Mrs. Maxwell
SHEET METAL WORKERS SICK CLUB
Secretary: G. Hopkins Treasurer: T Ford
NO. 4 PAINT SHOP CHILDREN'S CHRISTMAS PARTY FUND
Secretary: C. Jones Treasurer: J. Adams
The club was formed to provide a Christmas party for children of members. Members are allowed to sponsor orphans from homes around Longbridge and between 70 and 80 orphans attended. A meal, film show and presents (distributed by Father Christmas) were provided for by donations of £1 per child plus money from raffles.
NO. 2 GRINDERS BENEVOLENT FUND
Secretary and treasurer: J. N. Brewer
The fund was formed in 1953 and has a chairman secretary, two trustees, five committee and 75 members. Sole purpose is to stop section collections. You can draw up to £54 in sick benefits. Retirement and death grants £25, and there are hardship grants, Xmas grants and grants to outside funds. Subscription is 10p per week. 'Financially we had one bad spell, but now we are solvent again.'
NO. 3 PAINT SHOP DARTS AND SOCIAL CLUB
Secretary and chairman : G. F. Mudle Treasurer: C. A. Pearson
Darts and dominoes leagues are played with seeded players divided equally among the teams, enabling all teams to be fairly balanced. Interest is then kept alive up to the last match. They also have single and doubles champions. Trophies are presented at the annual dinner and dance. Each member receives a bottle of wine at Christmas.
Secretary: N. J. Snowdon Treasurer: L. Grlffiths
The Austin photographic society has been in existence for z5 years. It meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in the staff foremen's canteen (corner of Lowhill Lane) from September to June. We have had many well-known photographers visit the society to give lectures and judge our club and inter-club competitions. There is always a welcome to new members, both beginners and advanced workers.
PLATES AND BRASS ANGLING CLUB (NO. 5 MACHINE SHOP)
Secretary: G. Keay Treasurer: D. Stevens
The club was formed in 1960, the name originating when the engine plates and brass forks were machined in No. 5 machine shop. The competitive atmosphere at contests consists of A & B sections of 18 members each with an aggregate points system denoting the promotion or relegation of members in the sections. Six trophies are at stake during the season. A gift hamper fund is run for the benefit of No. 5 employees absent through illness at Christmas.
THE EAST WORKS SPORTS AND SOCIAL CLUB
Secretary: J. R. Ashford Treasurer: S. Reynolds
The East works sports and social club was created to foster better relations between fellow workers by providing inter-section competitions in football, darts, snooker, dominoes, fishing and also social activities. The credit for the enormous success of the club most certainly rest with its members who support all events most enthusiastically.
THE AUTOMATIC DETAILS SICK CLUB
Secretary: W. Matthews Treasurer: K. Johnson
The idea of the club is to ensure that every member receives equal benefit when sick. The club membership had risen during the three years of running. Members pay 10p per week and receive benefit for 13 weeks' illness per year (£2 weekly). The committee's decision is final and the treasurer's term of office totals 12 months. Subscriptions are paid into the bank and sick pay is paid by cheque signed both by the treasurer and secretary. The success of such a scheme is a credit to all members and committee; a good treasurer has been the key to our success.
WEST MATERIAL CONTROL SICK CLUB
Secretary: Miss Jenks Treasurer: G. Wood
The West Material Control Sick Fund commenced on 25 March 1964, with 28 members. Contributions : 5p per week. Up to and including 2 March, 1971, £323 has been paid in sickness benefit, £30 in death grants and £80 in retirement grants leaving a bank balance of £211. 55. Membership stands at 31 to date.
PATTERN SHOP ANGLING CLUB
Secretary: E. Evans Treasurer: E. Harper
Some of the present-day members were in this society in 1937 and it was formed about 1935. Membership at its lowest was 18. At present it is 34, two below the maximum. The society has a first-class handicap system with three contests a year and £26 prize money per contest. The Martin Cross aggregate cup is awarded for the heaviest weight in the three contests and the Chris Weaver Memorial Cup is awarded for the heaviest fish caught in the three : contests. They became affiliated to the BAA in 1968. All this is available for 5p per week. Heaviest contest weight was 14 lb., the heaviest fish a barbel at 3lb. 2oz.